Whether you call them dermal fillers or you know them as restoring injectables, they help restore fat and collagen reserves in the skin that can disappear over time. They help smooth wrinkles and deep lines, and give your skin more volume. At ProHealth Solutions, we use Restylane and Juvederm fillers.
In the vast majority of instances, patients only report mild discomfort and a few minor side effects. However, like any sort of procedure, you’ll need to follow your doctor’s instructions. Here are a few to keep in mind. Of course, if you ever have any questions, you can always contact ProHealth Solutions online or give us a call at 727-873-6536.
General Care After Facial Fillers
Your practitioner will give you a detailed list of care instructions that you should follow to the letter after you receive your facial fillers. Doing so will not only reduce the risks of complications, but will also help ensure you get the best possible results from your treatment. Your instructions will more than likely include the following.
- Pain medication – You should not take any sort of anti-inflammatory pain medication after your procedure. The reason is that this type of medicine thins the blood, which could increase the chances of bleeding, redness, bruising and swelling. This means that you should stay away from medications like aspirin and ibuprofen. Your practitioner may give you some alternatives to address discomfort, such as a cold compress to reduce swelling.
- Exercise – You should avoid any sort of strenuous exercise for at least 24 hours after your treatment in order to reduce the chances of an infection. If you practice yoga, be aware that some of the positions can increase the risks of swelling and bruising. While we encourage continued exercise, try to avoid any sort of activity that would lead to pressing on the area that was treated. The reason is it could affect the appearance of the fillers that were used. Regular activities, such as driving or walking, will be fine to continue immediately after treatment.
- Alcohol consumption – It would more than likely be a good idea to avoid alcohol for a couple of days after your procedure. Alcohol could also increase swelling and/or bruising.
Potential Side Effects of Facial Fillers to Watch Out For
If you do experience side effects, again, they should be relatively minor. These are a few of the more common ones.
- Bruising and swelling – Most people don’t experience any bruising and can get back to most of their normal activities within 24 hours after treatment. If you do have bruising and swelling, it should disappear completely within a week to 10 days. You can reduce both by gently applying a cold compress for 20 minutes at a time, up to five times a day. Give yourself at least 20 minutes in between sessions.
- Headaches or pain – If you’re experiencing either, Tylenol can help reduce your discomfort.
- Redness and itching – This is another minor problem that can sometimes occur. Don’t be concerned – taking some over-the-counter Benadryl should get rid of both.
- Bumps and lumps – This is a rare issue that can occur due to an accumulation of fluid near the injection site. Just massage gently for a couple of minutes and that should smooth out the area.
When to Contact Your Doctor
While very rare, there are some instances where a patient will suffer serious complications. Contact our office immediately if you experience any of these issues:
- Trouble smiling or swallowing
- Severe swelling
- Severe pain or redness
- Unusual bruising
- Whiteness or blotchiness near the injection site
How Long do Facial Fillers Last?
The amount of time that Juvederm and Restylane last can depend on many different factors. Patients absorb fillers at different rates, so fillers might last longer for one person than another. Juvederm fillers, for example, will typically last anywhere from six months to two years. That’s why it’s very important for patients to always let us know what their goals are before they undergo treatment. During your initial consultation with a ProHealth Solutions professional, we’ll make sure you know exactly what to expect.
Preparing for Your Next Visit
You’ll need to come back to our office for a follow-up visit. This could be anywhere from two to four weeks after your first procedure. When you come in, your doctor will examine how the filler has settled, and then recommend an additional injection if it proves to be necessary.
It’s important to note that you’ll be able to tell a difference immediately after your treatment. However, it will take time for the ultimate results to occur, since the filler has to integrate into the skin. Swelling can also affect the amount of time it will take for the full results to be noticeable.
If you have any asymmetries in the injected areas, don’t worry. This can happen at times.
In the days before your follow-up, make notes on whatever side effects are occurring, and what kinds of results you’re seeing. This information will help us determine if any additional treatments might be needed when you make your next visit.
Contact ProHealth Solutions to Learn More
When you turn to the experts with ProHealth Solutions, you’ll be working with a team of caring, experienced professionals who will do everything possible to have you looking your best. Our medical practice is devoted to providing our patients with safe, proven antiaging treatments. You’ll receive treatments in a comfortable, welcoming environment and you’ll love the results of our work.
At the same time, however, it will be very important that you have realistic expectations when considering any sort of aesthetic procedure. This is why the initial consultation is so important. Your professional will give you a clear picture of what the final results will be.